When it comes to your commercial HVAC system, efficiency is crucial. The proper performance of your machine is vital for the building’s comfort and your employees comfort. HVAC units account for 40% of the electricity in commercial buildings. That sounds like a lot (and it is) but for a productive work environment, you need to be comfortable. Thankfully there are steps that you can take to create a more energy efficient workplace.
According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, there are a few steps that you can take in your building even before you touch your HVAC system. Reduce your cooling and heating load by considering the following:
- “Tighten” your building shell and eliminate air leaks. Consider products such as Aeroseal that can effectively seal any leaks within your air duct.
- Install Energy Star qualified windows to create an even more energy efficient office.
- Upgrade your lighting systems to a sustainable alternative such as fluorescent lights.
- Invest in efficient office equipment and electronics.
- Control your building’s ventilation and improve comfort and save energy.
After you’ve tackled the building you can take measures towards your actual HVAC system to improve your efficiency. There are many things you can do in and around your system to make sure that it’s performing properly. Some of the most effective include:
- Consider an Energy Star system with a high SEER rating.
- Control your system’s humidity with a supplemental dehumidification.
- Install programmable thermostats and utilize the automation settings.
- Engage in preventative maintenance and regular tune-ups.
- Replace air filters regularly.
Your commercial HVAC unit doesn’t have to be the energy and electricity guzzler that many have made it out to be. A few preventative measures and regular maintenance can do wonders on the performance and lifespan of your unit. Contact Bruno Air Conditioning for all of your commercial needs or schedule an appointment with one of our expert technicians.