Hurricane season is here and while it may be mild right now, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be prepared. Bruno Air Conditioning is here to help you get through tough times through preparedness and careful planning. When disaster strikes, you’ll be glad that you took the necessary precautions. Emergency Kits are a great, safe addition to every home. Fill your kit with items to get you and your family through the beginning of the storm until the aftermath. Hurricane season began on June 1st and runs until November 30th.
Hurricanes are temperamental storms that you may see coming but whose force can wax and wane at any moment. Little things can ease your way and make the difference. FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has put together a cohesive list of items to consider for your emergency kit. Check out their suggestions below:
- Water and non-perishable food, enough to support each member of the family for up to 72 hours/3 days.
- Battery operated radio and batteries so you can get important information from local officials, especially if there is a call for voluntary or mandatory evacuations. You will also want to know where they may be shelters.
- First aid kit
- Cash or traveler’s check and change
- Important documents such as proof residence, pictures of your family including pets, insurance policies, bank account records, identification records and tax records in a waterproof, portable container.
- Comfortable clothing for each family member with at least one change of clothes
- Blankets and/or sleeping bags for each family member
- Unique family needs such as prescription medications, extra glasses, pet supplies, infant supplies or any other unique need your family may have.
Emergency preparedness will help you prepare physically and mentally for the threat of a storm. Generators are also an unmatched comfort during power outages. The force of the storm may knock out power outages for as long a few months. Generators can be imperative to your family’s safety and future. Generators can be portable, automatic standby, or electric. Depending on your needs, choose the right fit for your family and feel more confident about your preparedness!